Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Let's talk wire...


Let's talk about wire today. Often people ask what wire I use when I'm creating my designs. I use a copper core with non tarnish silver overlay. It comes in a variety of colors, but I prefer the silver and gold colors. The base I use is 20 gauge, and wrap with 28 gauge. I've found that if I need strength, I'll use a 18 guage base. I will occasionally use 30 and 22 gauge, for very light projects, but when I pull on the 30 guage, it often breaks, so it's used in placing rhinestone chain.

I've transfered the smaller wire, as you can see in the picture, to a spool that fits comfortably in my hand. I have found the commercial spools that come with most wire, clumsy to say the least. If you don't use a spool, the time it takes to "spin" is doubled and your wire kinks and breaks. Yes, you can splice in the piece, but it increases the chance of making snags, and your weaving is never as even.


1 comment:

  1. I am so happy you shared your experience with the wire. You use silver plated wire in such complex designs (which needs lots of twisting and bending), does the silver coat ever come off? How long does the wire sustain its shiny quality when your jewelry is used?

    Sorry for so many questions, and thank you!

    ReplyDelete